Sunday, August 16, 2009

Blog Title, Blog Subject, Blog Blog

Music of the moment: Tracy Chapman, "Cold Feet"

I hadn't realized until now just how ridiculous the term "blog" sounds when you say it over and over. In any case, this shall be considered the initial meta-blog entry, in which I discuss my reasons for the name I have bestowed upon this, my blessed intellectual child, and what I may write about here.

First, the name. The easiest and fastest answer is that I thought it was cool. However, if you were looking for fast and easy, you would be reading twitter instead of a full-fledged blog. I was looking for something which captured the feeling of patterns and rhythms within both mind and body, that we are all, in a way, mechanical. I don't see that as a trap, however. If we are nothing but mechanism then I wouldn't have the urge to unload my thoughts. Or, at least, I think I wouldn't. The next part, bushi, is a reference to service and the martial tradition. I don't feel masterless, so I'm no Ronin, but I also don't serve any one person in particular, so I cannot claim Samurai. Thus, I am generalized Bushi, a fighter, moving through my life of rhythms and fighting what fights are worth fighting.

I expect to write about thoughts, feelings, and so on, with a definite bent toward the martially philosophical. My reading and writing for Plan was just scratching the surface and I need to explore the same topics in greater detail but also with more freedom. However, the relevance may not be immediately obvious, or even exist at all. Often, I can tie disparate topics back to the main theme but I can't promise anything.

So, there you have it. I'm in the blogosphere now.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere. And thanks for explaining the title.... I *did* wonder????

    John L.

    http://woodsblg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete